Job title: Income Generating Activity (IGA) Trainer
Based: AERG Huye and Rwamagana Office, Rwanda
Reporting to: Regional Project Coordinator
AERG (Association des Etudiants Et ÉlevesRescapés Du Genocide) is an association of student survivors of genocide created in 1996 at the National University of Rwanda. Now AERG is represented nationally at 38 Universities and institutes of higher learning and above 400 secondary schools in Rwanda, with a total country-wide membership of above 43,000. The main mission of AERG is to connect and represent all student survivors involved in higher learning or attending secondary school. AERG is now dedicated to providing financial support, morale boosting activities and support systems, fighting genocide ideology and ensuring that students overcome trauma, homelessness and financial problems as well as to advocate for the ongoing needs of survivors, supporting them in education, with economic issues and onwards towards a productive life.
Project: Empowering Secondary School Leavers to Secure and Sustain Employment in Rwanda (ELE)
ELE will reduce the extreme poverty and hunger experienced by young survivors and their dependents, by ensuring they have the skills, resources and confidence to generate income. This will be achieved by AERG by facilitating training to develop viable livelihoods, empower the target group to access legal and health services, and access capital for the establishment of new businesses.
Entrepreneurship training will be the foundation upon which all other project activities will be built. This training will involve work readiness skills, basic business and banking skills, and accessing quality employment in the Rwandan context.
- To provide training to youth survivors in entrepreneurship, work-readiness, savings and income generation.
- To provide training in entrepreneurship and work readiness to youth survivors in the ELE project.
- To mentor, advise and support ELE trainees to develop and implement market based businesses.
- Travel around the Southern province to reach trainees in their locations.
- Emphasize training on confidence building, savings, and realistic income generation.
- Support youth to understand micro-finance and how to access micro-loans in the project.
- Chiefly in charge of following up trainees throughout the training period and ensuring that attendance remains high.
- Build capacity of AERG members by supporting them to develop their CVs, interviewing skills, and accessing employment in Rwanda.
- Support the establishment and growth of the AERG Internship Programme principally by; facilitating new relationships and partnerships with informal workers, companies and organisations in Rwanda.
- To provide support in the form of assisted report writing for AERG and its donors.
- To provide extensive monitoring and evaluation support of the training component of the ELE project with assistance in: surveying, reporting and sharing learning.
- To directly support the ELE Regional Project Coordinator in facilitating the ELE project, and work with the legal officers, IGA officers, and counselors to provide holistic support to vulnerable young survivors.
- To attend quarterly reflective meeting workshops with other staff trainers to share learning.
- To ensure ELE is achieving its objectives.
- A relevant Bachelors degree
- Demonstrate an interest in teaching or guiding others to build their capacity
- Confident and assertive, approachable and sensitive to the needs of survivors
- Highly organised and able to prioritise workload
- Proactive and ability to self-direct own work
- A willingness to be flexible according to the demands of the organisation
Skills and experience
- Experience and confidence working with micro-finance institutions
- Experience working with youth led start-ups
- Experience working with vulnerable groups preferred
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work independently and manage own time
- Microsoft Office and general office skills
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation to demonstrate project impact
- Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda
How to Apply
– Remember to attach your CV.
– Due to anticipated interest in these posts, only those who will follow application procedure and those that will be shortlisted will be contacted.
– Deadline to receive application is 20 May 2015 at 5:00pm.
For further information please visit aerg.org.rw
AERG National Coordinator
Mirindi Jean de Dieu